Have you always been looking for a good alternative to the heavy fishing kayaks, especially for hard-to-reach waters? Then the Pike should be just right for you! It is a lightweight at 21 kg, can be stowed anywhere, inflates within 5 minutes, can be carried to the water without effort and can even be taken on a plane and transported as a backpack. If this boat is also fast, runs straight and has a comfortable aluminum-framed suspended-mesh seat, then there are really many advantages combined. The only open question is, how can I attach rod holders, fish finder and camera mounts to this boat? Very simple: The STAR Pike has a total of five Scotty Mount Bases and is therefore well equipped for optimal kayak rigging.
First, let’s take a closer look at the kayak:
– 1 folding-back fishing seat
– 1 all-water fin
– Carry bag
– Repair kit
The features of the boat:
– The self-bailing Pike’s drop-stitch PVC floor insert inflates to a rigid 8-10 psi and the unique rigid keel inserts in the bow and stern provide outstanding tracking and stability.
– A comfortable aluminum-framed suspended-mesh seat puts you in the optimal position for paddling, casting and sighting fish. Seat back folds down for easier transport.
– 16 stainless steel D-rings along the top tubes allow numerous options for rigging your tackle crate and other gear.
– Five Scotty Mount Bases.
– A skeg plate and fin in the stern further enhances tracking.
– Removable seat quickly attaches to D-rings with included straps.
– STAR inflatable kayaks are built with advanced-formula PVC material using state-of-the-art seam welding technology, resulting in superior abrasion resistance, longevity and air retention.
– Top-quality Leafield™ C7 valves ensure trouble free inflation and deflation.
Length: 12′ 8“ (387 cm)
Width: 38“ (97 cm)
Weight: 48 lbs. (21 kg)
Tube Diameter: 10.5“ (27 cm)
Number of Air Chambers: 3
Valve Type: Leafield – C7
Self Bailing: Yes
Type of Material: PVC
Number of D-rings: 24
Number of Handles: 2
Center Compartment Width: 17“ (44 cm)
My rigging solutions:
– 4 Scotty No. 439 Track Adapter
-Scotty 140 Transducer Arm
– RAM Fishfinder Mount
– YakAttack DogBone Camera Mount for my GoPro
– 2 YakAttack Omega Rod Holders
– Rebelcell 12V18 AV li-ion battery in water-resistant battery bag
– YakAttack VISIPole safety light
– Tightline Anchor K5
– KrakenKrate by Jackson Kayak
I put my big landing net for pike fishing in an Omega Rod Holder, so that I can reach it quickly with one hand. For longer paddle tours, it is advisable to temporarily remove the transducer arm and place it in the boat. The transducer arm reduces the paddle speed by approximately 1 kmh. Especially when you pick up plants with the arm it gets annoying. The ideal paddle length for me was 250 cm. I use the Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus in adjustable length of 240-255 cm. The paddle can be placed next to the tube when it is not needed, without disturbing fishing.
The seat is a bit narrower than normal fishing kayaks. This is noticeable a bit, but you can still sit comfortably for many hours. Standing fishing is possible but requires some practice and good balance. Because of their light weight, inflatable boats are more susceptible to wind and drift faster. You should therefore always have an anchor with you. My recommendation: the K5 from Tightline Anchor. The anchor rope can easily be attached to one of the 16 D-rings. The D-rings have a distance of 25 to 30 cm at the front and back, so you can ideally align the kayak in the wind as you wish.
The many self-bailing scupper holes in the cockpit floor are a really good solution. Water can run off quickly, even a heavy rain shower does not cause any problems.
All in all, the STAR Pike Inflatable Fishing Kayak is a great boat that fully serves its purpose. If you want a light and space-saving boat, you will have a lot of fun with the Pike! And don’t forget: never without a life jacket!